We’re preparing for our first full winter in Arizona! How cold could winter possibly get here? Cold enough to have frost warnings, but that is irrelevant! You do not get sick from cold weather. Nope! You get sick from germs, bacteria, and a weakened immune system. And if you’ve been eating like crap (yes, even we fall of the wagon for a year or two) your body may be lacking essential nutrients that it needs to stay healthy. And drinking bone broth is one of the easiest and best ways to replenish your system.
But you don’t take my word for it! many have written in great detail about the benefits of what wr call “From Weston A Price website article Soup-stanence
Bone broths made from chicken, fish or beef bones are a staple of the traditional food way of life. The storehouse of nutrients liberated from bone and connective tissues accelerates overall healing and supports our own bones, as well as teeth, joints, digestion and immunity. Properly prepared broth contains a generous amount of a wide range of minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and silica. Think of it as the ultimate multi-mineral “supplement.” Since these naturally derived minerals are extracted from bone, they are in an ideal balance and easily utilized by the body….
We recently made our way to the local Asian market and purchased a whole duck, some chicken parts, and some chicken feet. Armed with my collection of poultry, filtered waters, spices, a huge stock pot, and time, I prepared to make my 384 ounces of liquid gold. Here’s how you can do it!
1 hrPrep Time
24 hrCook Time
25 hrTotal Time
- 1 whole duck (optional)
- 3 whole chicken carcasses
- 1 bound chicken feet
- Veggie Scraps or veggeis as listed below-3 large onions
- -1 head of garlic
- -6 carrots
- -6 celery stalks
- -2 tablespoons of sea salt
- -3 tablespoons white or black pepper
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- Spices and herbs1/4 stalk of fresh turmeric (or 1/2 cup of powdered turmeric)
- 1/4 cup holy basil (dried)
- 3 stalks Fresh Rosemary
- If poultry parts are raw, season chicken/duck parts with turmeric, salt, and pepper and roast chicken parts for an hour in oven. If not, skip to next step.
- Place all parts in large stock pot.
- Add veggies or veggie scraps.
- Cover with water and add apple cider vinegar.
- Let sit for 30-mins to an hour.
- Add all seasonings. Stir.
- Bring it to a boil and skim if there is foam.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 24 hour.
- Strain using a fine mesh strainer and ladle into jars.
- When broth is room temp, cover and store in fridge.
To ensure clear broth(1) after the initial boil, ensure the broth never reaches a boil again. (2) when straining, allow the liquid to drip but do not press on the bones. It may be a little time consuming, but it's worth the wait. (3) Once the broth has cooled and you have removed the fat, whisk together eggs with shells and all, and combine in a pot with broth. Bring to a rolling simmer over medium heat until the egg white create a raft-like layer. Remove the layer and strain again.